A new challenge – Week 1

I’ve decided it’s time to do a more in-depth “what’s been happening” post, and also introduce my own little self-imposed challenge.

So, it’s mid-May, and I have been sick with bronchitis for two months now. I’m basically better now, except for a cough that just won’t go. I started to get sick the week before my sister’s wedding, and probably didn’t help myself by running around barefoot in the relatively cool air with a fever and chills. I saw my first doctor after a few days of coughing, and he prescribed steroids to help, but a few days later, I was worse, so had Doctor Visit Number Two, where I got a higher dose of steroids, antibiotics and an inhaler. After a few days, I felt much better, and even did a photo shoot.

Then I got a cold. Which of course, irritated my cough. Which led to me cracking a rib from excessive coughing. Back to the doctor again, for Doctor Visit Number Three. We’d also worked out I was allergic to the antibiotics at this point, so that added to the fun. Husband had to take the week off work to help me, you know, lift stuff, and drive and all that jazz. Ten days later, and I still had the same cold and it hadn’t improved at all. Not one bit. And then I got another cold (or flu, or whatever it was) on top of that. I have never felt so ill in my life.

By this stage, I’d been sleeping upright on the lounge for a few weeks already, as I couldn’t breathe if I laid down flat. I dragged myself back to the doctor again for Doctor Visit Number Four, where she suspected I might have pneumonia and pleurisy. Pleurisy sounds very 18th Century to me, kind of like scurvy. So off for a chest x-ray and blood test. The doctor then had to do some heavy duty research to find some antibiotics I could actually take that I wasn’t allergic too. Back to the doctor again for Doctor Visit Number Five, and to my doctor’s surprise, I really did just have bronchitis, no pleurisy in sight. The new antibiotics and some more steroids had me feeling much better within a few days, and I’ve been on the up and up since then. I’m still coughing a lot, and as soon as I use cleaning products, I start wheezing (oh no!), but I can actually get through the day without sleeping, I can drive without fear of driving off the road mid-coughing, and I can sleep in my bed. That’s a win!

So there has been a bit of a pox on our house lately with me and Charlie being quite ill with our respective illnesses, Alex with a few colds as well, and then Husband decided it would be awesome and helpful to badly sprain his ankle in his first soccer game of the season, while I was still struggling with my cracked rib. We have a bit of a joke that whenever I’m sick and need looking after, Husband always trumps me and requires a higher level of care. Every single time. I know he doesn’t do it on purpose, but seems like a bit too much of a coincidence if you ask me.

John has finished up his projects at work that required him to travel, so he’s back in Newcastle all the time now. I got very used to being on my own during the week while he travelled, that it just became our “normal”. Now he’s back, it’s so lovely to have this “normal” instead. We actually get to eat dinner together, we go for walks and to the park, and he gets to put the boys to bed at night.

I got a haircut the other day. Notable only in that it was my first haircut in eighteen months, and probably my third since 2008, when I was pregnant with Alex. My hair is pretty long, and it takes a while before split ends start being obvious. Plus, who has the time to get a hairdresser. I even had my hair coloured for the first time in six years. Kind of loving it, although I have now committed myself to visiting the hairdresser on a more frequent basis to keep up with the colour. Self-portrait of new hair:


My sister is due to have my nephew any day now, so we’ll be heading down to meet him (and to do a newborn shoot!) in the next few weeks. I’m very excited. I have more of an idea of the style of newborn photography I’d like to do now, heading more to natural and neutral colours, with creams, whites and browns. Quite organic, for lack of a better word. I’m looking forward to moving towards this with my nephew’s photo shoot. I really want my newborn sessions to be natural, with natural poses.

So, just for fun, I’ve set myself a little photographic project for the next year. Or until I’ve had enough. My project will be to take a portrait of each of the boys each week and post them here. Not necessarily posed portraits, just a shot of each of them to highlight that week. There’s no theme. Just a photograph that captures who they are. Hey, it’s my project. I can do whatever I like.

So here are my shots for this week.

This is Alexander, doing a little bit of modelling for me. There’s a chance he needs a haircut. When we were at the park with my reasonably senile Nanna for Mother’s Day, she kept commenting on what a lovely looking girl he was.


This is Charlie, at the end of a long day, at the park on Mother’s Day. Having a bit of a sad and being cuddled by Poppie Jim. His mouth is surrounded in dirt, because he got a new Matchbox car for his birthday which he kept pushing through the dirt, then putting in his mouth. Two year olds are pretty gross sometimes. Those eyes and that little pout melt my heart every time.


One response to “A new challenge – Week 1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s